Wood Planer is yet another tool that you have in your workshop. This can be a handheld wood planer or it can also be a fixed type planer. One thing that remains common between any of these wood planers is that they are an industrial machine and they need certain maintenance. By ensuring proper maintenance, you can drastically improve the life of your tool. So, in this article, we have listed some of the tips that can help you in maintaining and tuning your wood planner.
Tips to maintain and Tune Wood Planer
- Storage – Always use proper storing techniques so that there is no risk of injury or damage. Ensure that the planer is away from the source of heat or moisture. Moisture is certainly one thing that can reduce the life of planer or any other machine so take precautions accordingly
- Lubrication – All machines require certain lubrication so as to avoid wear and tear of moving parts. A wood planer is no deferent and you need to follow a proper lubrication schedule. Ensure that you use certified lubricants which are meant for the wood This improves the life of wood planer drastically.
- Blades – You need to take care of blades as well. Check regularly for the sharpness and ensure that they are not losing sharpness. If required, sharpen them or replace them. This would not only improve the accuracy for you but it will also have a positive impact on the precision and finishing. Apart from sharpness, check for the orientation as well.
- Regular Checks – It is also worth checking the bolts and electrical wires on a regular Ensure that there are no cuts in the wire and ensure that the bolts are tight. It would not take more than 10 minutes of your time but these things certainly increase the life of machine drastically.
This was all about the maintenance of wood planner. Let us now have a look at some of the tips for using wood planer
- You need to ensure that the table that you are using is straight. You can use spirit levels to check the same. You can also check the length diagonally to ensure that you do not have low spots
- To ensure that the board glides smoothly inside the planner, you can clean the table with the mineral spirit. After the cleaning, you can coat it with wax and buff it with a soft You will notice the difference while working.
- Always use a dust collection system and it is also advised to use high-pressure air to clean the wood dust from the cutting head and other parts of equipment.
- It is also recommended to check the motor push after every 100 hours of usage. If there is excessive wear then go ahead and replace the push
This was all about the maintenance and use of best wood planer. We hope that this procedure will help you in getting the best work out of your wood planer.